6/03/2014

Video Game Reviews: Mario Kart 8


Mario Kart is one of the most beloved franchises of all time, but of course there are only so many ways you can keep producing them. However, in this latest installment, Nintendo is back to form in producing one of the most praised games of the year so far, this is Mario Kart 8!


Gorgeous, isn't it?
Let's start with the graphics, this game is the most visually appealing game of this generation. The way the colors pop is just magnificent. Each character is also very brightly color, even Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach have the chrome finish that make them shine similar to the coins all over each race track. Each track has something visually that makes it stand out, from Mount Wario's snowy slopes to the Nintendo 64 version of Rainbow Road's fireworks, your eyes have plenty of color to keep them satisfied. When all is said and done, you will watch the highlights of your races just to watch the tracks in motion.

Rainbow Road, IN SPACE!
Next, I want to cover the new tracks. The new tracks in this game are my favorite since Mario Kart Double Dash, which were previously big shoes to fill. I love the renditions of classics such as Bowser's Castle and of course Rainbow Road, but the new courses such as Twisted Mansion and Mount Wario are now among the best tracks in franchise history. The plus side to this as well, there aren't really any bad tracks, I enjoyed playing on all the tracks, but Mount Wario especially was a huge standout.



Waluigi taking the gold on Mount Wario
I know a lot of people are upset over the "lack" of characters in this game. It's Mario Kart, who cares who you drive as? I never really "main" a driver in Mario Kart games because it doesn't really matter, but Waluigi has always been one of my favorites. I honestly have no clue why people continually ask for Kirby or Sonic in these games, and then disappointed when they don't get them. Some people were mad about the inclusion of Rosalina in the game, but A.) She is about to be in Smash and B.) We are probably getting one more Super Mario Galaxy game, I just feel it. Anyways, the characters are fine, and I find the inclusions of the Koopalings and Pink Gold Peach to be both hilarious and welcomed.

Who fishes him out when he falls?
Last, I want to cover overall gameplay. The fluidity of the game really makes this special. Previous installments of the series has always had frame rate issues and such online and offline. This game has none of that. Even when I have played this splitscreen, the frame rate is perfect. The 60 FPS really shows the true power of the Wii U, and more specifically, this game.

The AI is also much improved. Even playing on 50 CC getting a feel of the new tracks, I was having difficulty winning and it was constantly a battle between the top four racers. The item distribution is also amazing, because you aren't constantly bombarded by blue shells while you're in first, and you aren't punished for being in first place by constantly getting a green shell or a banana peel, it's great. 

Even the loading screen is awesome, right?
This game is awesome, I feel like this could really get some consoles pushed out for Nintendo. This game has something for everyone that has ever liked Mario Kart and even people new to the franchise. Overall, this game has been a blast to play and I see myself constantly coming back to it (in fact, as I am writing this, I am awaiting Cody to get to his apartment so I can kick his ass on online).


Final Score:
9.5 Blue Shells out of 10



No comments:

Post a Comment