6/02/2014

Indie Game Review: NOT THE ROBOTS



Many developers today, especially indie upstarts, enjoy the whole stealth genre.  However, in a market where originality can sometime lack, some enjoy taking chances and in return you end up with a very unique game with very unique goals.


YOU WILL HATE THESE ASSHOLES.
The goal of the game is simple, eat furniture and avoid the sentries and various obstacles to advance to the next level.  Sounds easy right?  WRONG, you could not make a worse mistake then heading into this game expecting a walk in the park, and I mean this in the best way possible.  Through out each of the levels there is a ton of furniture to eat...but when the furniture is your only cover, it's not always a good idea to just consume everything. Believe me, these sentries show absolutely NO MERCY. They will destroy you and take your lunch money without a second thought. OH YEAH. One more thing. Once you die in this game, boom, game over. It's like pre-original Legend of Zelda days all over again. I admit, the first thing I said after I booted it up was, “Time to breeze through this.”Man I was wrong. The game uses the old “lure them in” approach, as the first level held up to my expectations as being quick, fun and easy.  Once I made it to the second level, things got heated fast.  All of sudden, there are sentries shooting at me. Before I knew it, I was having to implement a lot of thought into where I should go and what I should do. The game eventually ended up kicking my ass, but I was up and at it again in no time. If a game kicks my ass within the first few levels, and I get right back to it, I'm a believer right off the bat. The game has what I like to call the Super Meat Boy effect. You can die over and over again, but still keep coming back for more.


Hey, who said robots can't bleed?
  One weird quirk about me is that I love sound and music in games. Sometimes I feel like it's just as important to the game as the actual game play. With that said, the music in the game is excellent. With the slow melodic jazz-like feel, the music really helps to emphasize the rogue-like style. The refreshing angle this game takes is one my friends and I are appreciative of. The dodging and weaving in and out of cover placed along side strategy formed in each of the randomly generated levels really helps to change up the stealth genre. The game made by Eli Piilonen(Lead Game Developer, and Only Developer) and his crew, including the talented sound designer David Carney, really bring a fresh spin to the indie game market.



Damn, look at all that randomly generated goodness.
I know gamers of today are really split on the whole “I won’t play games by unknown developers” idea.  Well, in my opinion, these “unknown developers” are the future of gaming as a whole.  Without them, the market will never grow and we will never get new and interesting IPs.  Not The Robots takes what people love, adds a no mercy spin to it, and the result is a game you could easily lose a couple of hours to. I personally have enjoyed my time with the game and if one person reading this gets out and buys the game, I have done my job.
 
Final Score:
8 Furniture Eating Robots out of 10


Check out the Trailer below! 

Support The Game!
Visit the Website: http://nottherobots.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment