6/04/2014

First Impressions: EA Sports UFC Demo

Is that Bruce Lee? That is Bruce Lee!
So one of the most visually impressive games on current generation consoles had a demo drop today. That game is EA Sports UFC. The demo coming a full two weeks before its release on June 17th is a good sign, but let's go more in-depth.

Demo poster
The demo was really good. It is Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson in a three round, five minute rounds. It is extremely crisp for a beta version of the game, although there was some notable slowdown for a few seconds, but nothing too awful for a demo. The in game character models is amazing, probably the best I've seen ever, they are simply stunning.

So this is a thing
The controls have been a center of controversy though, and I am here to straighten things out a bit. Mixed Martial Arts and Boxing are not the same, MMA has a wide variety of how to beat your opponent, so for EA to make this THE UFC game, they had to make the control scheme a bit difficult. However, the demo requires the player to complete a tutorial before they fight, and you can do it as many times as you want. DO IT MORE THAN ONCE! The utter stubbornness of people saying the scheme is hard, would you really want to spend $60 on a "Press square to win" game? Didn't think so.

More hype images
The gameplay is overall really solid. The fighting, both standing and on the ground, is pretty sweet. This game seems like it will be my "Blood Sport" game until the next WWE game (Yea, I'm the wrestling guy) and the satisfaction of when you are punching someone and their blood goes flying is amazing, first time I did it I was screaming "Oh shit!" at my TV while playing. The submission system is a little tough to grasp at first, but it is definitely something you can grasp.

Not in game footage, but you get my drift.
I would definitely say download the demo, try it out even if you aren't in to UFC, or MMA in genral. I will have the game Day One, and will be livestreaming on June 17th over at ThePaperCloud Twitch channel and I for one can not wait to play this! Hopefully the full game will be as good as the demo (duh it will be).



2 comments:

  1. The gameplay is at best a 6/10 medeocre at BEST the undisputed games were better in that aspect, punches (especially jabs) lack crisp movements. the over complication is for the controls they dont teach you in their little tutorial(slip strikes). The takedowns are a little over zealous, but that makes them cool so I am ok with that. On the groud gone are the minor transitions. transitions are all done by the same swipe like the old THQ games, except for the minor ones being erased. Submissions are better which saves a nice little bit of hope. so far I am not impressed with the game play.

    The sound is what really lets me down. The sound is atrocious, I hope that is not what the real game will sound like.

    graphics are stunning. amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering this is my first UFC game, I really have no qualms with the transitions as much as some. I believe EA wanted this to be a reboot, so fans both new and old could jump in and enjoy playing some UFC.

      The sound I have noticed after playing a bit more is either really loud or hardly and sound at all, so I hope they find their happy medium in the coming weeks.

      The graphics are fantastic though, just gets me excited what some bigger budget games are going to look like as soon as next year. Thank you for your comment and I appreciate the opinion!

      Delete